Friday, December 24, 2010

The Best Gift

Merry Christmas to everyone!! I can't believe that it is already Christmas Eve. This year has gone so fast. I just had a sweet experience with my nephew John, and I was in the mood to blog, so here we are. I was just holding him while sitting at the computer. I had just been reading something related to college, and then I suddenly felt really sad. This sweet boy was going to grow up while I'm away at college, and he won't remember me when I come home for the holidays. I suppose that's how it is with some of my other nieces and nephews, but it just hit me now. But my goodness, John is the sweetest, cuddliest kid I know, and he snuggled right up to me while I was feeling upset, and I was just so overwhelmed by how much I love that little guy.

I had another really neat experience in the past few weeks. A club at my school was going caroling at a local nursing home. So as secretary of the club, I was emailing and lots of people told me they were coming. However, of the 35 some students in the club, 8 actually came. I was a little bummed by the turnout, seeing as the residents had obviously been expecting us and were patiently waiting for us. But as we started singing, and I saw the elderly people singing along with us, I forgot that we weren't a group of 20 and just started enjoying myself. Afterward, we mingled a bit with the people, and that was really enjoyable. I could tell that they appreciated us coming and even more so that we were talked to them for a while. One woman I spoke to had been in a glee club throughout high school and college and so was very excited to have us there. Another woman, Judy, I will remember for a long time, I'm sure. She was sitting in a wheel chair, and had thin but well kept short, gray hair. As I was greeting her, she held onto my hand tightly, and spoke very loudly saying "What's your name?" She told me I had beautiful teeth. And name. A friend of mine was standing nearby and received an onslaught of kisses from this dear old woman. She kept saying, "Christmas is for kisses! Don't you think so?" I replied that that is what Christmas is all about. She was like an adult child, so sweet. As the caretaker was pushing her out of the room, she was crying and saying, "I'm just so overwhelmed, thank you so much. Just don't tell my boss I was crying!" I know that I made a difference in Judy's life, even if it was just for three minutes. And it felt so good. Like, a giddy and peaceful feeling- like caramel apple cider. The combination of spices and sweet is perfection.

Celebrating the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ is done no better than doing what he spent His life here on earth doing: serving others. I am so grateful for His example and His love, for I don't know who or where I would be without it. I pray that I can lead others to know Him and of His love.

Have a very merry Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your sweet words! I love you!!!! Have a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Merry Christmas Bean! Thanks for blogging, I always feel uplifted reading your testimony, which you are so good about sharing! Don't be sad little sister, it's amazing how those kids have been touched by you, and even far away, they will always remember you and love you! I know I sure do! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. These kids love and will ALWAYS love their Aunt Laura. Enter SKYPE!!!!

    ReplyDelete