As I was studying furiously for my Book of Mormon test today, I read this quote. For me, it
clarified something: accountability and reliability are two different things. Hit home
to me today. Just thought I'd share.
Q: In your book, you talk about "taking responsibility for your life." Is that an attitude or a
different way of doing things?
A: It's really a choice and an attitude. I had a mentor in my 20s, and the first thing he taught
me was, you have to take 100 percent responsibility for life. I
didn't know what that meant.
He said, "Well, do you ever blame anybody about anything? Do you ever complain about anything?"
I said, "Sure." He said, "Then you don't take 100 percent responsibility. If you did, you
would always take the position that you are creating whatever's
going on in your life, including your feelings, your results, the quality of your relationships,
the money you have, your health. You would always ask
yourself, 'How am I creating this?' "
But if you take the attitude that you're a victim, and other people are responsible, then you
won't be looking, then you won't find anything, and then you'll
never have a way to improve. (Mary A. Jacobs, Dallas Morning News, 1/29/2005)
No comments:
Post a Comment