Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Begin Again

Whew. I almost missed the entire month of October.

Also, I've been totally ignoring my blog. Ha. Who reads these anyway?

I just wanted to write a lil something real quick.

So the beginning of the semester, at a new school, I was told that I was going to learn to sing a different way- a better way (link to a page that describes the breathing technique). I was all for it. Cool! And then I tried it-- it is completely opposite of how I was taught to sing for the past 6+ years (I was a loins-girded singer, all the way). So the way my body and mind was used to singing, has been completely challenged. All the muscle memory I've built in the past 6+ years--challenged. And it was incredibly frustrating. (It still is!!) I had been on the verge of tears a few times in lessons, just because I felt like my teacher thought I wasn't trying because I just wasn't getting it. Don't get me wrong, I adore my teacher. She's great. I leave lessons feeling inspired and motivated (signs of a great teacher, in my opinion) it was just the application was bringin' me down!

And then my lesson came this week. She said things like:

"I think you're getting it. You just had a breakthrough didn't you?"
"That's the best you've ever sung that."
"Sometimes we stumble for a long time, and then we make giant strides. And then we take a step back. And then another giant step. And it goes on like that. I think you're making a giant step."
"I know I've turned your world upside down. Majorly. But I can tell you've been working hard."

Can I just tell you HOW GREAT IT WAS TO HEAR THAT? It was great.


4 comments:

  1. I READ IT! Religiously. And I miss my Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it too. And congratulations!!! That brava was well earned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! You always know how to inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. #1. DON'T ignore your blog.
    #2. You're awesome!
    #3. I'm glad you like your teacher. She sounds great and I'm so glad she praised you for working hard because I know you are!
    #4. So proud of you!!
    #5. *peep*

    ReplyDelete