Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sweet Pea



So as I'm leading the opening hymn this morning in church, I hear a baby panting? Laughing? Giggling? I'm not sure HOW to explain it, but I sure as anything knew WHO was making that noise: dear sweet John. I look down at my family's row, and John is standing on Marie's lap smiling and laughing/panting at me. Of course my family can't keep a straight face if our lives depended on it, so there's my mom, doing her red faced silent shake (hmmm, it all makes sense now...) Adam trying not to smile, Marie laughing herself, trying to quiet John down and Spencer and Emma provoking him to laugh even more. This cute noise was, of course amplified over all other noises as I tried to find something else to distract me, or I guess regain my focus on the song, but as I looked around the rest of the congregation, I could see several other people also laughing, therefore furthering my inability to keep a straight face. It was really quiet terrible/ hilarious. Man, I love that kid.

Something I learned this week (from our Stake CES Seminary guy, Brother Rose, he's the best.) is that having faith takes risks. We were talking about the parable of the talents and how the one who buried his was afraid of losing it, but that is HOW we lose our talents if we don't use them or share them. I took that very personally because I've been really struggling with decisions about colleges and whatnot, and especially whether I should audition for the music therapy program at Utah State, but I know that it won't hurt anything (besides my pride:)) if I DO try out, and it can lead to so many wonderful things if I make it. Faith means taking risks. Nothing good will happen if you never try.

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the red-faced silent shake. I know it well :) So sad I'm missing out on things like this.

    Love that last paragraph as well. You are so mature! You have been given wonderful talents and need to share them with the world!!! Please audition, you won't regret it.

    I love your guts! And your voice! And your whole being :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that kid, too. And his Auntie Laura, who makes him smile (and laugh/pant/giggle!

    ReplyDelete