Thursday, March 27, 2014

Happy Birthday Mumsie.

These days we see so many articles like "17 Ways to Use Your Laundry Lint" or "45 Ways to be More Like Sandra Bullock " (I would actually read that one...). But I thought something a little more meaningful would be appropriate for my spectacular mom's bday.

So here are (just) "20 Reasons Why Mama Wride is the Bomb.com"

1. She raised her kids on music, whether we liked it or not. (Memories of the chants "uggggh mom this is so gross. Ewwwww classical music" coming from the backseat of the car are flooding back to me) She brought beautiful, uplifting music into our home at all times. And she still continues to share and develop her talents in all kinds of ways.

2. She loves learning. She reads books and articles and magazines all the time, of all kinds and loves talking about her learnings. Her theories are renowned across the family. Some day we will have her to thank for the knowledge of "sleep hormones." She's sure of it.

3. That learning extends to spiritual goodness too. When she's read an inspiring talk, she sends it to everyone and their dog for them to feel uplifted, too. The Gospel According to Valerie coming soon to the bookstore shelves near you.

4. She has the best laugh. I can't help but laugh when she laughs.

5. She always has/makes time for family. Especially when it seems most inconvenient for her, because she loves us.

6. She takes care of herself. Probably not as much as she takes care of everyone else, but when she acknowledges she is in need, she'll go ahead and do what she likes or needs.

7. She made the most killer halloween costumes. I was a witch like 4 years in a row, but only after being Abu from Aladdin, Megara from Hercules, and Esmerelda from Hunchback.

8. She is SO attentive to what other people need (especially her kids). For example, one time in high school, I had had a pretty difficult experience at school and shortly thereafter I was having one of my classic "Laura Meltdowns". We got talking after seminary and she just said, "you know what? Take your time. You'll get to school when you're feeling better." (She also let me skip school every once in a while. Usually for something specific, but those breaks to hang out with her were always appreciated.)

9. She's one of my best friends. When something exciting happens, I want to tell her. When I'm feeling low she's on speed dial. When I need to vent, she sits down on the couch to just listen. I just can't keep things from her! She knows anyway.

10. Long story short, she's a nurturer and comforter by nature, but boy, she's really perfected that characteristic.

11. She's taught us kids that a timer/alarm is the solution to every problem. Just about. The essential and indestructible black watch has saved playdates from destruction, appointments from being missed, and probably the world from imploding at one time or another.

12. She has a simple and sophisticated style. I love it. In her dress, her talk, the decor in our home. She has class like nobody's business.

13. She is so cheesy. Sometimes her kids and grandkids get an eye roll or two in response, but most of the time it just makes us laugh and love "Pamela Primary from CTR News" even more. (It's obvious she passed that one on too...)

14. She is in touch with her emotions. She doesn't hide the fact that a lot of things make her cry, for a thousand different reasons. She cries during commercials. No big deal. She cries at family gatherings with the Polar Express soundtrack blasting in the background. I was raised knowing that if I felt like crying (which happens all the time--if I laugh too hard, if it's super windy outside...), it really was okay!

15. She sets goals to better herself and I've seen her achieve so many of them. She doesn't let "failure" stop her from what she desires. If something isn't working, she thinks about how to change it. And she goes for it. What a woman.

16. She's the sweetest woman you'll ever meet. I've never heard her say a cross thing to anyone ("cross" makes me think of Mary Poppins). Except the one time in Spain when this kid tried to steal the insignia off the front of the car she was sitting in. She got out of the car and just started laying into him in English. He was SO not expecting it. Dropped it and ran. Funniest moment of my life.

17. this picture.


18. She is incredibly in tune with the Spirit. I've had so many times when I was feeling low and then BAM. Mom sent me a package last WEEK and it shows up on my doorstep. WHAM. An email with the conference talk that I needed to hear. She's just awesome like that.

19. She loves my dad. In everything she does I can see how much she loves him. She supports him to no end, day in and day out, and has for the past 37+ years.

20. She loves God and Jesus Christ more than anything. She isn't just a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, she is a disciple. She doesn't just live the gospel, the gospel is who she is. One of the most Christlike people I know.

(okay, I can't resist.)

21. She is the most beautiful person I know. Inside and out.

So, happy birthday, mom. If you can't tell, I think you're the greatest woman on the planet. I love you!

1 comment:

  1. Just reread this and yeah, we're the luckiest. Best mom ever. And you have such a lovely way of highlighting all of her amazing qualities, I just sat here nodding and nodding and grinning. xoxox

    ReplyDelete