These past 4 days I spent in Cedar City, Utah where my dad's family comes annually for the Utah Shakespearean Festival; good show! We were lucky enough to see 3 "Shakes" ; "As You Like It", "Comedy of Errors", and "Henry V". I was amazed by the ability of the actors to hold 3 different major roles, along with a couple of understudy roles! But mostly, I was amazed by the talent of these people. Especially in "Henry V", the acting was phenomenal. Both "As you" and "Comedy" were very entertaining and at times hilarious. I have to say, I've become a much avid Shakespeare fan- although, the way the reader (or actor in this case) presents (including facial expressions!) the line can make a simple statement a hilarious line. But anywho, It was a lot of fun being with family eating, which we Wrides do best! Every time we saw each other- "Okay, which meal are we eating now?" Regardless that I've probably gained a few pounds this past couple days, it was an awesome time. Lounging by the pool, watching movies, and being with fam.
Well before Cedar, my fabulous sister Kate showed my mom, dad and I around BYU campus, well most of the important stuff. I learned some of the nicknames like the JSFB, and the JSB, and the Wilk, and MOA and HFAC, ahh good times:) Plus we had some of the chocolate milk and we all know that that is about 1/3 of the reason anyone would go to BYU. The other 2/3s is because its a good education and its cheap:) Just Kidding. I was really excited and it opened me up to a lot of thinking for this summer, "So, future. Whats going to happen?!" I have about 15 info papers about music programs, English programs, and more... I'm not done reading all of them yet! But then after being in Cedar City watching the shows, it makes me really want to go into theater, because I absolutely love the fact that acting gives one the opportunity to be someone they're not; just for a moment. For example, I can't recall a time that I've ever really screamed or yelled at someone, but a role in a play that I got in 7th grade gave me some therapeutic yelling, and it felt really good! Never will I ever intentionally do that, but I find it a lot of fun to get into a character that is NOT your normal self! And something I realized while watching the shows is that you have to have (and excel in) the weird/embarrassing/odd roles such as a troll, before you can have the good ones! But aside from theater, I love music, I love books, and I love writing! So... maybe I will be an over-dramatic song writer. :) Good thing is I still have some time to decide!
But besides all of this, we survived our 3 1/2 day trip to Utah, nothing but corn in between Ohio and Wyoming, lots of bonding time:) Anyways, I still have a week of vacation before our drive home and then behind- the- wheel, even though I've probably driven more hours than anyone my age... yeah, taking turns driving 2,000 miles, I've done my share of hours. :) But then sch**l starts and the stress will return. For the meantime, I'm going to ride the Alpine slide, eat Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, go to a Bee's baseball game, and so forth and so on.
by the way, the title of the post was one of my favorite Shakespeare lines from "As You Like It"
No comments:
Post a Comment