Sunday, January 23, 2011

Pink Notes #4: In Memory Of

Mack, Macaroni, Mackadoodle, Wride's Prince Lad of Potomac.

This sweet dog has been in my life for almost 13 years. I basically grew up with him. We got him in 1998, and just this Saturday, January 22, 2011, he passed away. I've had my share of feeling sad and sorry, but I know that he is happier where he is now than he was his last few months. He certainly lived a full and, I like to think, a very happy life. So instead of a post of how sad I am that he will no longer be lying on the carpet in the morning when I leave for seminary, or that he will be sitting on the deck waiting for me to come home from school, I will instead share the sweet and tender memories I have of him.
-This dog loved his snow. I think that's why we got along so well :) When he was young and bouncy he would gallop and prance around in the snow, hence we called him a horse quite often. He loved it when we would throw a ball of snow up in the air and we would jump up and bite it.
-He absolutely hated stairs. And tile floors. And hardwood floors. And the fountain water bowls.
-He loved to drink out of the hose on hot summer days.
-He loved to be outside in the yard, sitting under the big tree out front or in back.
-He was such a good go-for-a-walk dog. When the neighborhood wasn't so developed, we would take him out for walks out in the forest, where we would cross the river, and "the pipe." We would let him off his leash and he would run and run and run.
-He loved the yard in Spain. He had lots of room to run around all day. Many days he wouldn't even come inside at night, he just wanted to be outside. I think those dang stupid magpie birds ruined that for him, eating his food and picking at his hair. Stupid birds.
-Adam and Peter's friends were over a lot during their high school days, and often they would spend the night. One morning, we awoke to Mack's white diamond shaped forehead colored with a purple marker. That poor dog.
-As a little girl, I would talk to him all the time. About my crazy friends (or those who I was fighting with over stupid things. :) ) or whatever. He was a wonderful listener.
-I remember one day when I was about 6 or 7 I decided I would run away from home. Obviously I didn't. But I did make it down the street before my dad and Mack came charging down the street after me.
-I remember coming home from school everyday in 8th grade, walking back from the bus stop, and hearing him bark, and get really excited. He was always so happy to see us come back from trips, too.
-I remember Daniel loooved to look at and pet Mack. Mack LOVED to be pet. Especially behind his ears and on his bum. Strange dog.
-In his later months and days, he would find ANYTHING on the floor, and lay on it. I would be looking for a pair of shoes, my purse, backpack, and of course there he was, laying on them. Sweet guy. He also liked to lay on his blankets. But as a puppy he never really liked his big dog pillow/bed thing.
-As a puppy he chewed lots of things, including shoes, dolls, linoleum floors, etc. Luckily, we were well equipped with lovely rugs to cover the gaping hole in the floor until the tile came. Which Mack did not appreciate.
-In our house in Spain, my room was on the main floor, just back through a small hallway. During thunderstorms, he would make his way back into my room. I think he just loved to be around people. He ended up sleeping in my room pretty frequently. Which I loved, too.
-He was born to herd, and herd is what he tried to do many a times. While on walks, with other dogs, with sledding, he would try and herd us. Crazy how instincts work, huh?
-Along with being a herding dog, boy did he love to bark. He was a very...vocal dog. :) I miss that sound now.
-He would drink lots and lots and lots of water every night while saying the dinner prayer. We conditioned him well, I suppose :)
-Dad loved Mack, and Mack loved him. Those crazy menfolk.

Mack was such a beautiful and strong and handsome dog, I can't imagine what he looks like now, in his glorified state:) As we said our last goodbyes to him, my dad said "Maybe Grandpa will take care of him now."

So Grandpa Rex and Grandma Carol, take care of Mack. We sure love him.

Thanks,Mack, for being such a wonderful dog.

5 comments:

  1. OK, so I made it through most of it without crying...until I got to where Dad loved Mack. And then you had to go and add Grandpa Wride and Grandma Barnard. Thank you Laura for writing such a wonderful tribute. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad really did love Mack, and had pretty rough day yesterday.
    Can we keep adding memories here? I want to remember how Mack gave us our neighborhood identity. "Oh, you're the family that has the beautiful collie!"
    He never failed to draw attention wherever we went. Even yesterday, as he limped into the vet, a woman exclaimed, "Oh, what a beautiful dog!"8

    ReplyDelete
  3. -or how when you started scratching his bum he would back up into you so you could get a better angle :)
    -and when we used to get the neighborhood dogs together to play, he would just herd them while they tried to have fun. I'm sure everyone appreciated him barking his head off, but he loved it!
    -those walks in the woods when he would spot a deer and take off after it. He would always go tearing off after them and then come trotting back a few minutes later with his tongue hanging out. He had some speed in his day.
    -in the summer when I'd take him out at night and we'd have toads on the front stoop he was always so curious and would watch them and then poke them with his long snout.
    -that snout. Got him in trouble...whether he was using it to get food off the table, or ramming it into a visitor's crotch to say hi :)
    -how silly he looked all shaved that one summer. he was so cute in those big sweatshirts, reminds me of that book about animals wearing clothes and how ridiculous an idea it is!
    -and as Mom mentioned, everyone knew the "Lassie dog". I would have kids at school see me walking him and the next day it was always, "Hey, I didn't know the Lassie dog was yours!" Why yes, he is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had forgotten about the purple marker on the forehead! Mack was such a sweet dog. It made me cry to think about how much you all have gone through together (the move to Spain and back again) and how much you all loved him but especially Brad. I remember nights that we'd be out late and come home to Brad taking Mack outside. They were such good friends to each other. I'm thinking about you guys. Having just lost Lucky (my parents sweet doggy) I know this kind of loss leaves a hole in your life. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found out that Laura had a blog (ahem!), and so now I have to add my 2 cents too.

    It's no secret that my kids are kind of wussy when it comes to dogs, but one thing I loved about Mack is how gentle he was with them. He was very patient as they mustered up all their courage and snuck up for a quick rub along his back. When we lived with Mack and I would take him out on walks, he was always very protective of my kids. I remember particularly one day when I was talking to a neighbor he didn't know, and she started to cross the street to continue the conversation. I had Spencer with me, and Mack made sure to stand between Spencer and the stranger, barking his heart out to protect my little guy. Love him for that.

    ReplyDelete